LIKE...Follow TWCKY

Thank you Webster County: A Guest Post by, The Messenger's Sports Reporter, Mike Stunson

For a fresh-out-of-college 22-year-old, arriving in the Hopkins County area in August 2011 was a bit of an adjustment.

I didn't know a soul and was honestly nervous about what was in store for me.

But the people of Webster County, whether it be the students, coaches, or parents, have helped make this nearly two-year experience so worthwhile.

As most of you know, I am borderline-obsessed with Twitter — that's the best way for me to get my name out there.

I've been on Twitter for over four years, but it wasn't until fall 2012 where I think people in the area began to notice. That's when my followers came in flurries, with Webster County people always being the ones to communicate with me more, despite knowing that as a Messenger reporter my allegiances have to fall with Madisonville-North Hopkins and Hopkins County Central before Webster.

Some of the most interesting and warm-hearted people I've come across in my two years here have been from Webster, such as 2012 Trojan grad Jacob Scott, who to this day has been my favorite student-athlete to cover.

Others that come to mind are Dan Boswell and Kolbi Edens.

And the connections I've built with coaches in the past two years, most especially with the Lady Trojan basketball team, have been so helpful for me.

I never expected my name to be chanted during a basketball game by a student section, but that's what happened last winter at a Trojan game.

In a way, I feel like a part of this big Webster County family, and it's always been a great feeling for me.
I always wanted to be a journalist, dating back do to my middle-school days when I realized I probably wasn't going to be a professional basketball player.

And now, as people like to tell me all the time, I'm apparently a celebrity in these parts. I never asked for that, as I'm just trying to do my best to provide high-school sports coverage. I feel honored that the people in Hopkins and Webster counties speak so highly of me.

I don't know what the future has in store for me. I'd be lying if I said I want to stay in this area permanently. But no matter where I'll go, I'll always be checking up on how all the student-athletes from the area are doing. Some are destined for big things in the sports world, while others are going to make it big in their respective professions.

I can honestly say that communicating with people from across the area and learning their stories has helped shape me to become the man I am today. There are so many amazing people in Webster County, and a lot have been inspirations for me.

More than anything, this post is a thank you to the people in Webster. You all have made this job so much more enjoyable for me, and I am extremely grateful.

Editor's note: I became acquainted with Mike through Twitter in the winter of 2012, as I was seeking to follow Webster County students, coaches, teachers, parents, etc. Mike has impressed me with his professionalism and excellent reporting/coverage of sports. I have learned a lot about engaging on Twitter from Mike, and I've been entertained by many of his random tweets that so timely break the routine of life. Whatever Mike Stunson does with the rest of his career will be awesome. He has definitely made an indelible impression on Webster County that will long be remembered.